Definition SUV

Diskutiere Definition SUV im andere Fabrikate Forum im Bereich Andere Fahrzeuge; What is an SUV? a person new to the English language may ask. The problem is that the answer may lead to another 10 more questions from this...

1. #1 kruemelmonster1, 16.08.2002
    kruemelmonster1

kruemelmonster1

Auto:
    BMW E39 528i
    What is an SUV? a person new to the English language may ask. The problem is that the answer may lead to another 10 more questions from this individual, ones we may not know how to answer.

A Sport Utility Vehicle... what does that mean? Something that looks like it can be driven on normal roads, and at the same time be a weekend warrior in the desert? We all wish!!!! The term SUV has become so polluted that I am almost ashamed to say the words. But... the words come out of my mouth for lack of a better definition.

Most of the so-called SUVs that one sees driving around are as far from off-roading as my little sports-car is from being a four seater! The deal is this: as my sports car has 2 good seats in the front, and two pathetic semblances of seats at the back, just to be called a 2+2, most of the SUVs that we see driving around that are touted as off-road beasts, are really on-road, mild-mannered, domesticated animals.

I do not even believe in calling something such as a Toyota Land-Cruiser, a truly fine off-roading machine a SUV, it would be an insult. I call machines such as the Land Cruiser, Nissan Patrol, Jeeps, GMCs... et cetera trucks. This is because this is what they are: trucks. These things can go off-road, and yet provide a comfortable ride on the road if necessary, but, they were designed with off-roading, and load pulling in mind. These are vehicles for those who would need a vehicle such as this for work, or as said before, for enjoying nature.

Toyota RAV-4s, Honda CR-Vs, Kia Sportages... etc are really just poseurs with high riding cabins set upon fat tires to look like something they are not. They are a marketing trend and are little more than a very ineffective hybrid of a car and a minivan. These things are selling like hot cakes because someone went and said that is cool to own one, even if you do not have true off-road driving in mind, which most of these glorified minivans probably couldn't do anyway.

These minivan hybrids are marketed at families with children in the sense that these consumers "need" all the space, and the road clearance, as well as sluggish acceleration and a high vantage point to see the road (why, if you not going to off-road). Well, what did we do before these high-riding, no-power, pieces of junk came about? We drove normal cars and station wagons (yes I am not a fan, but they do what they are supposed to do) this is all just a trend.

I defend what I call trucks (this also includes pickups that are used for what they were made for, not just to go around looking like a hero!). This is because I have had occasions when I have wanted to go where no car (or SUV junk) can go... off the road. This is where a Land-Cruiser, Nissan Patrol and a Jeep CJ7 have taken me, on different occasions (I even got the CJ7 stuck in the sand once, didn't take enough air out of the tires).

I am not sure about the Lexus LX470, but it sure as hell looks a lot like the Toyota Land Cruiser, except it is more expensive. I'll stick with the cruiser, thank you. I know that the Lexus RX-300 is a glorified car/minivan hybrid, as with the Mercedes ML320... Et cetera.

I have participated in "dune-blasting" using Toyota land cruisers, Nissan Pathfinders and a rebuilt Jeep CJ7. I have done this in places such as Dubai (mid-east) and Pakistan (South-Asia). I can personally attest to the above machines’ prowess as off-roading machines. I even have a picture of a friend in a land cruiser gunning it along the side of a sand dune at a 45degree angle, email me for pictures, I will be happy to provide them!!

Contrary to popular belief, SUVs are not automatically a safer buy for average drivers. Reading another opinion on this topic, I heard a reviewer comment on how many SUVs he saw flipped over in the winter, as people thought that with a SUV they could do some crazy antics in the snow because they have 4WD. Most of the time, the average consumer (soccer-mom) of the SUV will have a hard time figuring out the differential locks on a 4WD. I live in Massachusetts, and we get a decent amount of snow, and I too have seen my fair share of SUVs involved in accidents in the snow, mostly probably due to bad driving.

SUVs also have a tendency to blind anyone who has the misfortune of being ahead of them at night on the freeway, as their cabins are set very high. They are death traps in the hands of those who do not realize that they cannot perform high speed cornering with a SUV. In my opinion, the average SUV driver, on their power trip from being in a nice BIG tank, may also be careless in their driving and handling such a huge vehicle. While on the topic, I very recently had my taillights destroyed in a parking lot by a mom in a SUV, as she couldn't turn the SUV into the parking spot accurately enough, and her high vantage point view didn't allow her to see my little, low-slung sports car. This is also a factor that I believe is detrimental during highway driving.

In diesem Sinne
    CU @all
    Krümel :D

2. #2 Cartman, 16.08.2002
    Cartman

Cartman

Auto:
    W123-280E BJ 1980 Passat 2.0 TDI BJ 2006 und Polo 1.9TDI 96KW BJ 2006
    prima das du uns da aufgeklärt hast :)

ich mag die alle net *G* limosine oder kombi sidn meine präferierten fahrzeuge

3. #3 pnh-135, 16.08.2002
    pnh-135

pnh-135

Toll, vielen Dank für die erklärung

4. #4 kruemelmonster1, 17.08.2002
    kruemelmonster1

kruemelmonster1

Auto:
    BMW E39 528i
    Naja... also ich präferiere schon so ein nettes SUV (Jeep Grand Cherokee 2,7CRD *juchuuuu* 8) ), da sitzt man so schön erhöht und hat ´ne anständige Übersicht über den Verkehr und wenn mir einer reinrauscht in die Seite oda so, dann sitz ich jedenfalls drüber (solang´s nich ein Mercedes G oda so ist... :)) )

In diesem Sinne
    CU @all
    Krümel :D

5. #5 pnh-135, 17.08.2002
    pnh-135

pnh-135

Ich finde es auch ein tolles Gefühl etwas höher zu sitzen, aber zu hoch ist auch nichts, bin mal mit nem LKW mitgefahren, das war mir zu hoch, da hast du dann keinen Kontakt mehr zur Straße, und das ist nicht schön

6. #6 Dr. Low, 17.08.2002
    Dr. Low

Dr. Low

... auch ein Grund pro Elch! Die Übersicht ist mega!!! Für alle Zweifler: einfach mal ausprobieren!

7. #7 Cartman, 17.08.2002
    Cartman

Cartman

Auto:
    W123-280E BJ 1980 Passat 2.0 TDI BJ 2006 und Polo 1.9TDI 96KW BJ 2006
    öhm ja also ich denke im W210 habi genug schutz um jeden unfall bis 50 unverletzt und jeden bis 150 zu überleben

Thema:

Definition SUV

Die Seite wird geladen...

Definition SUV - Ähnliche Themen

1. Elektro-Crossover-SUV Mercedes-Benz EQC

Elektro-Crossover-SUV Mercedes-Benz EQC: In Stockholm hat Mercedes-Benz jetzt den neuen EQC 400 4MATIC (Baureihe N293) als erstes Modell der neuen Marke EQ vorgestellt. Im Sommer 2019...
  2. Definition zu Hochvoltfahrzeugen

Definition zu Hochvoltfahrzeugen: Ist die foglende Definition richtig? Hochvoltfahrzeuge sind Fahrzeuge, die elektrische Bauteile besitzen, welche mit einer Wechselspannung (AC)...
  3. CL203 CL 203 - SUV Umbau

CL 203 - SUV Umbau: Hallo! Ich habe einen CL 203 Baujahr 2002 und möchte den gern einen Offroad-Look verpassen. Der soll also aussehen wie ein SUV, würde aber nicht...
  4. Neues Kompakt-SUV: Mercedes-Benz GLA vorgestellt (X156)

Neues Kompakt-SUV: Mercedes-Benz GLA vorgestellt (X156): Mercedes hat jetzt Informationen zum neuen GLA veröffentlicht: Stuttgart, 14.08.2013. Progressiv beim Design, souverän im Alltag und mobil auch...
  5. Mercedes MLC: Das SUV-Coupé von Mercedes

Mercedes MLC: Das SUV-Coupé von Mercedes: schönen abend zusammen, hier einen link zur vorausschau auf ein neues modell, welches sich mlc nennt:...
  1. Diese Seite verwendet Cookies um Inhalte zu personalisieren. Außerdem werden auch Cookies von Diensten Dritter gesetzt. Mit dem weiteren Aufenthalt akzeptierst du diesen Einsatz von Cookies.
    Information ausblenden